Subject: [Leica] Leica sytem headaches!
From: "James Burris" <jabu@direct.ca>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 19:44:48 -0800

Hello everyone,

While spending the better part of today  hiding from one of the pacific
northwest's wonderful fall days - was that an ark I saw? - I'm now in a
frenzy as to what combination of lenses I should go with for my Leica R.  I
used to think that I could actually decide this for myself - but I'm really
beginning to wonder.  :)

I have a CL with a 40mm and I plan to pick up a 90mm elmarit -M for it down
the road.  That is set.

On the R side, all that I've been able to decide is that I want a 60mm macro
elmarit.   I was going to pick up a 135mm until two things happened.  One, a
friend showed me some pictures he took with a 135 and they looked OK -
nothing spectacular. Two, Erwin wrote earlier that the 135mm is not a
strength in the Leica line - which further confirms my suspicions in point
one.  So now what?  Is it reasonable to have a 60mm and a 180?  That seems
like a big gap to me.  I really like my 180 (E67 non-apo) so I think I'll
keep it no matter what.  What about using the 60mm with a 2x extender? That
would shore up a hole in the middle of 60 and 180, but does the 60 perform
on the doubler like the 90mm lenses?  Lastly, is the latest 28mm R a big
improvement over the prior version?

The lenses I've owned so far are the 19mm elmarit, 35mm summicron(early),
90mm elmarit(late), 180mm elmarit(E67 non-apo), 400 telyt.  Of these lenses
the best optically were the 90mm and the 180mm.  The pictures look "alive".
I'm sure the 60mm will fit the bill but will the 28mm?

Thanks for all your help in the past,

James Burris