Subject: Re: [Leica] Loupes
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 20:15:58 -0500

I think there is a trade-off between magnification and over all utility of
a magnifier.  If the magnification is too high, it becomes difficult to get
an overall feel for the image you are looking at, although sharpness
becomes very easy to evaluate.  I find that a magnification around 5x is
sufficient to evaluate the sharpness of the negative (assuming the optics
are of high quality), and yet it remains easy to judge the overall
composition etc. of the image.  I have a Nikon 8x magnifier that is OK,
nothing great, but perhaps a bit too much magnification for my taste.  I am
tempted to buy that Pentax I saw earlier.

Dan C.