Subject: [Leica] JB, filters, flames, and technique
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 15:20:38 -0800

I've been amused for the past couple of years by the association of my
name, Jim Brick, and "filter flames." The reason this is so amusing to me
is that seemingly intelligent people are confusing the passing along of
leica originated information, with "flaming." The last time I read flaming
E-mails, it involved name calling, yelling and screaming, and other abusive
practices. Am I doing that, or am I simply stating the facts.

So when does the passing along of Leica factory information constitute
"flaming?" Probably when someone's entrenched beliefs get challenged.

I guess it is better to shoot the messenger, than be open to education. If
you all have such disdain for the factory recommendations, why on earth did
you, do you, buy Leica factory products?

And a very perplexing situation arises. It seems as though, those folks who
challenge Leica's recommendations the most, are the same folks that talk
endlessly about lens resolution, lines/millimeter, MTF charts, etc. Can
anyone possibly think that these lens charactistics were obtained "through
a filter?" Does anyone think that Erwin's discussions of fine detail, micro
contrast, and all of the Leica lens virtues that he expounds, are the
result of testing "through a filter?"

Now many of you folks don't care about getting the utmost out of your Leica
lenses. And if you feel safe by always photographing through a window,
that's OK with me. Believe me... I do not care what you folks do. But I
went the Leica route because I will not compromise. I want to be able to
extract the most possible from the 35mm format. And I believe Leica's
teachings are aimed at the user that wants to extract what Leica worked so
hard to achieve.

The following is only for those who care about extracting the utmost from
their Leica lenses:

Use a filter, loose some image quality. It's as simple as that. You may not
personally be able to see it because, as Erwin states: "It demands users
who are willing and able to exploit to the fullest their technique and do
not hesitate to improve on their expertise to match Leica optical
qualities." So every action you do, has a reaction on your film. Use a
filter, loose transmittance, gain flare, loose some level of micro contrast
and fine detail. Hand hold your camera, continue to loose fine detail.
These things that you are losing, are the very things that Leica lenses are
famous for. The very things that you all gush over when Erwin so eloquently
explains these Leica lens virtues. These virtues disappear with poor
technique. Fast film, hand holding, fine grain developers, filters, dirty
lenses, etc... Remember Erwin's list... carbon tripod, fluid head, etc. The
laws of physics and optics are very well known. You and I cannot change
them. They dictate the procedures that we must follow in order to fully
realize Leica optical quality.

A very simple (layman) statement on Leica's filter policy is the last
paragraph at:

http://www.leica-camera.com/support/techserv/werterhalt/wert_e.htm

Now, I do not believe that the above is a "flame" in any sense of the word.
If you are offended by what I have just said, here, and in previous posts,
well I cannot do anything about it. That's your problem, not mine.

And I repeat; every message that I have ever sent that discusses obtaining
the utmost out of your Leica camera and lenses, has been a meld of 50 years
of personal experience, the words of Leica itself, and the most eloquent
words of Mr. Erwin Puts. Those who wish to ignore this information are free
to do so. I will not, however, sit idly by and watch mis-information being
posted to the LUG. There are many LUGgers who are new to the craft of
photography.

When I do say something that is not completely correct, Mr. Puts usually
catches it and informs me and the list of this mis-information. I am
grateful for this because I am a big believer in continued education. I
*want* to know.

Therefore, in conclusion, I will not succumb to the censorship of those who
wish that I would shut up. I will not. I will continue to pass along,
information that Erwin, Leica, and other reputable sources offer. I will
add my own experiences. And I will continue to attempt extract the
qualities that I paid so dearly for.

Leica quality.

Jim