Subject: [Leica] Archives - Searchable past LUG postings
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 21:01:03 -0800

I discovered an archive search engine on the net on Monday and  inquired
about the possibility of archiving LUG postings in a searchable way.

Lo and behold! A test version is already up and running. This you gotta'
check out - a search engine on every word posted to the LUG that is
contained in the digests. And it's fast!

Here is the posting from one of the friendly folks who host several other
searchable archives on their site. He wants to get official permission from
Brian before "announcing" it on their home page, but the URL below is our
back door just to test it for now. Posting below is from Jeff Cambell at
http://lq.corenetworks.com/ , which is their home page. The Leica archive
page is listed below:

(Brian - actually all I did was ask if the LUG archive was a possibility
and showed him how to access the archives - hope I haven't stepped on any
toes. . .)

Regards, Gary Todoroff

	Hi Gary!

	Thanks for your support regarding an archive for the Leica
Users Group.  As per your request, we have retrieved the digests and
indexed
them.  The site is not available to the public at large (unless they
know the URL, of course) and is not currently listed on our web site, as
we don't want to proceed officially without the consent of the list owner
etc.

	However, please test out the search here:

	http://lq.corenetworks.com/lq/search.html?ln=leicausers

	There are some 53,000 messages in there, up until a day or so ago.
Please share the URL with others on the list and let us know within a few
days if Brian, the list owner agrees and we will followup to get formal,
e-mailed permission from him, and take it from there.  It is my
understanding that he also hosts the Rollei list as well.  We would be
pleased to offer the same archive interface to that list as well.

	Please have a look and let me know what you think.

http://lq.corenetworks.com/lq/search.html?ln=leicausers

- --
Jeff