Subject: [Leica] Re: M exposure metering with W/A lenses.
From: Ken Wilcox <wilcox@tir.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 17:32:03 -0500

I have and use a nice old SA. It won't meter on my M6 and i don't care. The
angle of metering is too great. I usually us it on my M2 or M4 with an MR
meter. The combination works great.

Cheers!

kw

>You are correct.  Most of the time I've found that with scenics, simply
>tilting the lens down to exclude most of the sky is sufficient, certainly
>with negative film.  If you can find enough of a single tonality (any
>tone) to fill the central 3/4 of the *camera's* viewfinder you can meter
>it and compensate the exposure to place it in it's proper tonality
>relative to middle.  If this isn't possible, you can also get in close to
>anything of even tone (without refocussing the lens) in the same light as
>the subject, meter, and recompose.  Last, you always have the option of
>metering with a longer lens, such as a 90 or 135, and then mount the
>wide-angle.  None of these methods is lightning-quick, but if the light
>isn't changing quickly, once the exposure is set you can usually keep
>shooting.    As you noted, a handheld spotmeter is also an option.  I
>carry the Sekonic L408. It also offers incident and flash metering as
>well as a 5-deg. spotmeter, which I find 99% sufficient.  It is more
>compact than the new 508, which has a 1-5deg. zoom spotmeter, but the
>incident housing is up top on a swivel like a studio meter.
>
>Regards,
>Nigel
>
>On Tue, 17 Nov 1998 18:29:08 -0000 "Dr James Harper"
><DRJH@btinternet.com> writes:
>
>>I have a query.  Several replies mentioned a metering problem, which I
>>understood, perhaps  wrongly, to be the possibility of incorrect
>>exposure
>>because the meter's measuring angle covers a too large  (or was it too
>>small?) area of the scene.  If that is so, the solution is presumably
>>to be
>>even more careful about exactly what you select to meter on.  But is
>>that
>>possible with a very wide angle lens?    If the meter is being
>>presented
>>with a whole landscape, it must be difficult for it to decide what the
>>important parts are.  Only a spot meter would cope, I imagine.  In
>>what
>>conditions is the problem, if it exists, most likely to occur?
>>
>>Apologies for any unintentional technical naivete.  All comments
>>gratefully received.
>>
>>JH

>or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

- ----
Ken Wilcox                             Carolyn's Personal Touch Portraits
LHSA, MEA, LAW                      preferred---> <wilcox@mail.tir.com>
                                                     <kwilcox@gfn.org>