Subject: Re: [Leica] OK Walter, I'll Bite => Carry the camera...
From: "Bryan Willman" <bryanwi@seanet.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 00:02:59 -0800

In the spirit of Walter....

I travel a fair amount racing cars.  It's a pretty
tense, time-starved activity.  It can be truly
physically and emotionally exhausting.
(If you aren't sometimes real scared in
 a racing car, there's something wrong with you.)

But there are also quiet moments.

And I've been carrying Leicas.  They are small,
so if I go through the weekend without shooting,
I don't feel like I've lugged a lot of weight for nothing.
They are fast in the dark and quiet, so I have gotten
some shots of SO (who drives too), teammates, crew,
etc. at dinner, meetings, and so on.  Hit ratio is often
low, but hit ratio without the camera is always 0.

They work best for pix of people and the scene
in general.  Pix of cars on track, hyper close-ups
of the hardware, and fisheye shots require
other gear.  But I tend to put an M6 in the bag
with the Canons....

I use mostly color neg film.  Believe it or not M pix
can be seen to be different on 4x6's from the local
lab.  I don't think it's about extremes of sharpness,
(I shoot hand held) but about contrast, saturation,
and other things that I call "pop" and/or "transparency"
(I don't know, I just like the pix.)

The real key is to carry the camera and shoot
with it when your emotions and circumstances
allow.  Accept a low hit rate.  If you persist, there
will be some fine shots.