Subject: Re: High end audio [Macintosh] and [Leica] photographic analogies
From: Ken Iisaka <kiisaka@ms.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 12:48:45 +0900

Thanks.

I do feel very lucky to have had the opportunity to learn.  It is something I've
always loved since I was very young.  After quarter of a century, I still love it.

RBedw51767@aol.com wrote:

> We look for Steinways in other forms, such
> as our sound systems,  and every one of us hear different things.  I am so
> comfortable with my sound system that I cringe when I listen to many others.

The most important thing is whether YOU like it or not.  The satisfaction comes
from the effort you put into refinement.  However, a true artist is never
satisfied :)

> It took me about ten years to get my system the way I want it.  During this
> time I listened to the system first and the music second.  This was wrong and
> in retrospect I wasted a lot of time and money.   It's a disease much worse
> than being a Leica nut.  Thank God I am cured because I now enjoy Schubert,
> Shostakovich, Mahler and Beethoven more than I have ever in my life.

It's like whether we look at pictures or the gear.  We all love Leicas for its
beautiful design and implementation, but we also love the results they bring.

> Oh, to be able to play the piano would be the ultimate joy.

Also, the ultimate struggle.  I've been working on a relatively obscure
composition by a relatively austere French composer in the Romantic period:
Charles Valentin Alkan.  With a 70-hour/week job and a 10 month old son, I am
limited to be able to practise just a few hours on weekends only, it has taken
over a year to learn this 30 minute piece.

Music and photography have much in common: Mannes and Godowski, co-inventors of
Kodachrome, were professional musicians.  Ansel Adams was a pianist before he
turned photographer.  I think the discipline and perseverance required in both
fields build the character to excel in these seemingly different fields.