Subject: Re: High end audio [Macintosh] and [Leica] photographic analogies
From: RBedw51767@aol.com
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 20:36:54 EST

Ken:

I would gladly trade my Leicas, Hasselblads, Nikons, WIlsons and Spectrals for
the ability to play a piano.  You are very lucky and I hope you enjoy it to
its fullest.

You are also very lucky to be able to understand "first hand" what real music
sounds like.  Of course, it sounds different in every environment.  Over the
years one develops an ear for what is pleasing and unfortunately it may not
sound like the real live presentations.   Realistic is something that is
understood by precious few, such as you.   Unfortunately few of us can play a
piano but want music in our homes.  We look for Steinways in other forms, such
as our sound systems,  and every one of us hear different things.  I am so
comfortable with my sound system that I cringe when I listen to many others.

It took me about ten years to get my system the way I want it.  During this
time I listened to the system first and the music second.  This was wrong and
in retrospect I wasted a lot of time and money.   It's a disease much worse
than being a Leica nut.  Thank God I am cured because I now enjoy Schubert,
Shostakovich, Mahler and Beethoven more than I have ever in my life.

Oh, to be able to play the piano would be the ultimate joy.

I hope you get the Steinway that you want.  It would really look great with a
Leica sitting on it.

Bob Bedwell

<<
 Being a musician (not professional), I have long realised that my usage of
the
 adjective "musical" is completely different from audiophiles'.

 What I always look for in a stereo system is how realistic the sound is
 reproduced.  Having been very intimate with live performances, I have long
ago
 resigned to the fact that a recording is a recording is a recording, and is
never
 a substitute for a live performance.

 My current stereo system costs far less than my current Leica system.  I
bought
 it in the first year of my career, so budget was rather limited.  It took 5
years
 into my career before I bought my first Leica.  The stereo system is still
 lacking in many ways, but given all the priorities I have, I would spend more
of
 the money towards a German (as opposed to American) Steinway semi-concert
grand
 piano (model B), in addition to the American Steinway model M from the turn
of
 the century that I have cherished in the past five years.