Subject: [Leica] 135/4.5 and other SM lenses
From: dmm@bronze.lcs.mit.edu (Andrew M. Moore)
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 21:50:27 -0500 (EST)

I just spent an afternoon in the darkroom printing the results from a
newly acquired 135/4.5 Hektor (screw mount) and a 35/3.5 Summaron
(screw mount), and a 90/2.8 Elmarit (latest).

Hektor: the best $80 I've ever spent on camera gear.  I know the
135/4 and 135/3.4 are great, but I'm so happy with the results and
even happier about not spending $1700 more on the latest!

35/3.5 Summaron: again, I love the results.

90/2.8 Elmarit: nothing to say that you don't already know about this
great performer, and it certainly beats my 90/4 Elmar, though I did
get an excellent shot from 90/4 that gave me a new appreciation for
that lens.

This was all on Delta 100 and Tri-X 400 (at E.I. 320).

The point is: I hope others have the chance to be as pleasantly
surprised as I was with the old Leica screw mount lenses (and adapter
ring!).  I would never have believed it until I tried it for myself.
And, every time I leave the darkroom, I come away with an even greater
love for B&W photography (until I look at some of those chromes).

I love this stuff.

And hello again to a couple of you whom I met at the Hunts show in
Boston.  My pleasure.

Andrew