Subject: [Leica] Rattlesnake wrestling
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 19:38:52 EST

Walt wrote:
> It should be possible for an aftermarket company to build one for $250,
street price, in limited quantities.<

Walt,
 I have a suggestion to make. You seem convinced that the Rapidwinder is
overpriced and I think the only  way this can be settled is by me issuing a
challenge to you. You obviously have the skill and required knowledge to
rebuild and repair cameras and now put these skills to use. Build a "Leicavit"
or "Rapidwinder" that you can sell for $250 (including shipping). I am not
asking you to get into a production unless you want to, but the challenge is
to build a couple of these and be willing to sell them to the first person who
gives you the $250. They should be a version that works on the M4-2/M4-P and
M6, fit and finish should be at least comparable to mine and to Leica's
standards. My suggestion is that you are given a 3-6 month time frame to do
this and that we then call a LUG meeting in some place between Vancouver, BC
and Texas and meet there.  Undoubtedly some LUGgers would like to see this and
possibly buy  the $250 winders from you.
 It is highly appropriate that this challenge is issued today, as this is the
11th anniversary of making the first Rapidwinder ( the "Ur" winder), which, by
the way, is still working fine and is attached to my wife's M4-P.
 How about it Walt? Texans are supposed to be up for a challenge, be it with
rattlesnakes or maybe even the odd Canadian!
Tom A