Subject: [Leica] Heresy is fun!
From: Vondauster@aol.com
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 10:45:37 EST

Hi All,

In a message dated 11/15/1998 9:12:16 AM EST, walt writes:

 <<As for my background and opinions, it's like I told a self-proclaimed
 liberal professor friend -- he believes in ABSOLUTE freedom of
 speech -- so long as you agree with him!  Otherwise, suffer the
 wrath.....

 Will, where are you when I need you? >>

This has been a lot of fun to watch, since I have been on this list for over
two years and have known Walter for about 14 years. There hasn't been this
much fun on the LUG since Odmund days. I guess a  few comments might be
appropriate.

Walter is one of two people I allow to work on my Leicas, the other being John
van Stelton. This is not to disrespect Sherry, DAG, or other techs! But
Walter's knowledge of (especially mechanical) cameras and lenses is second to
none. When he says the best made camera ever is the Nikon F, if I had a
different opinion I would immediately change it.

That Walter has a rather dry Texas, sometimes politically incorrect, sense of
humor seems to cause some annoyance on the LUG, but I do see a number of folks
here "getting it" and dealing with the very real issues Walt is raising. For
example, the arrogance of some of the Leica religionists is real, and puts a
lot of folks off, including me. The nice thing about the LUG is that there are
a good number of members who shoot for a living, including myself. This means
that although I don't always agree with a lot of the self-satisfied chat that
goes on here, I always respect those who recognise that cameras are just
tools, even nice cameras; and understand that after all is said and done if
the picture isn't done well, it doesn't matter what one shot it with. That
Leica makes fine tools is why we are here, but they are just tools.

The LUG is one of the nicest collection of folks I've encountered on line, but
the conversation can get a little stale once and a while. It is fun to see a
maverick like my friend Walt jump in with both feet and liven things up.
Especially when he knows what he is talking about.

And I like the McIntosh 225 I got from him years ago... whoops, off topic...

Will von Dauster