Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica SLR's
From: nbwatson@juno.com (N. B. Watson)
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 16:05:17 EST

Yes, frequently.  There were quite a few sports shooters using Leica R in
the pre-EOS days and we'd all get in bragging sessions and end up
shooting each other's equipment (at least we didn't shoot each other : ))
Recently I've run across a couple of commercial pros still in Leica R and
out of curiosity I've shot PKR with them just to see what all the fuss is
about.  I could see the usual gamut of contrast/sharpness differences
with specific lenses at specific apertures/distances, but nothing
straight across the board to prompt me to declare the Leica a clear
winner.  I do happen to prefer the Leica M's slightly warmer colour
rendering over that of Nikon, but the difference is less than an 81A
filter and I've never seen it come through in a 4-color sep reproduction,
let alone newsprint.  Finally, my need for a fast motor and predictive AF
to remain competitive, because fellows with hand-eye reflexes 20 years my
junior are using it, now makes the Leica vs Nikon question academic.
Finally, I'm not sure what "brittleness" means in photographic terms, but
for an assignment that demands the utmost in recorded detail and
exploitation of films' tonal gradation, I have always and will always
switch to medium or if need be, large format.

Regards,
NIgel
On Sat, 14 Nov 1998 15:19:31 EST FIGLIO4CAP@aol.com writes:
>In a message dated 11/14/98 2:52:22 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>nbwatson@juno.com writes:
>
><< but never sufficiently dazzled by either the optics or the
> cameras to trade my Nikon reflex equipment, I would not  ventur >>
>
>Have you used them? I started with a Leicaflex system in the 70's,
>went to a
>fairly extensive Nikon system for quite a few years and am now back to
>the
>Leicaflex and R cameras, in addition to some M stuff. I found the
>Nikon look
>too brittle and lacking in subtlety. Kodachromes from the same roll
>but
>exposed with both Nikon and Leica lenses clearly showed balance and
>gradation
>differences - especially on skin tones. I prefer the Leica slides,
>some may
>not.
>Bob Figlio

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]