Subject: [Leica] Odd Summilux-R 50/1.4 new version
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 19:00:47 +0100

This message has been posted about a week ago, but no reaction came to
it. Maybe it got lost somewhere.
So I am sending it again.
- ----------

I have noticed something odd with the new Summilux-R 50/1.4. I believe
that since somewhere in the eighties all lens engravings on Leica R
lenses have become blockier than before. Just look at the figure 5.
Before it was round and curved, since then it has become a blocky 5. This
is on both the focusing and lens opening ring.

Now, the odd thing is that while the engravings on the focusing ring
on the new Summilux are the latest ones, the engravings on the lens
opening ring are once again round and curved. It looks as if they reused
some older lens opening rings. This is not the case with the Elmarit-R
35-70/2.8 ASPH.
Just look at the latest Leica Program book available on their website to
see what I mean. And I have also seen this for real in Solms.

This is, of course, just a cosmetic thing, but does anyone have an
explanation? Maybe just a couple of lenses are affected? In that case
these would be rare collector's items :-)

Pascal

See my photo pages at http://members.xoom.com/cyberplace/
Who else than Leica could make a camera like the R8 ?
With that unique design and above all: that ergonomics.
Nikon ? Canon ? Nobody but Leica !