Subject: Re: [Leica] New Vario-Elmarit-R 35-70 f2.8 Asph. macro setting
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 08:11:14 -0600

>Whether by accident or design, Leitz have made it so that interchange of
>their
>equipment and that of other manufacturers is very difficult.

Why would you expect every manufacturer to make sure they can have a
lens-film distance varied in large enough amounts in distance so people
could manufacture adapters? Obviously it's not intentional They design
their cameras to make the distance exactly right. For Nikon and Leica,
those standards were set in 1959 and 1964 (or before when the spec. was
set). If they want their lenses to work on their cameras in the future,
they stick to that.

By the way, there is an adapter for putting Leica R lenses on an EOS1n
camera made by Zorkendorfer. It works too. But you have to shoot wide open.
I know a German aerial photographer on Compuserve who does it. The other
way won't work. That's why EOS lenses won't work on the Leica S1, where
Nikon and Contax lenses will. There's no way to control the aperture on an
EOS lens without an EOS body.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

More hay, Trigger? No thanks, Roy, I'm stuffed!