Subject: [Leica] Digilux questions-long
From: Bill Grimwood <bgrim@garply.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 09:34:22 -0600

Now that the Digilux price has dropped I am interested.  As an Insurance
Agent I photograph all the property I insure.  I am sick and tired of
Poloroids.  Also I would like to be able to post an image on the E-Bay
auction.  I suppose this camera would make that possible.

The Digilux looks like the way to go for me but I have numerous questions.
Maybe I am dumb and stupid when it comes to digital photography but Leicas
advertising does not answer any of these questions.

After taking the photo and the image is in the camera, how do I transfer it
to my computer so I can print it?

Does this equipment have some sort of connection to the computer, does it
come with the camera?

I hear mention of small credit card size discs to capture the data on.  How
does it get from that medium to the computer?  do i have to purchase some
sort of card reader?  How many images does one hold?

Before I buy I want to know the total cost.  I am tired of buying something
for my computer and before being able to use it have to buy more equipment.

Last year I hooked up four computers in my office to a server.  The people
that put the system in said my old 486 would have to be upgraded to a
Pentium but it was simple to just replace the motherboard.  After the
motherboard was replaced the local bus would not work because it was a
VEESA local bus.  So we replaced that and then the video card would not
work, so we replaced that.  Then they told me the hard drive was dragging
so it needed to be replaced before it failed, so I replaced it.  After all
this the old modem in the computer wouldn't work so we had to replace it
also.  At the end I could have bought a new computer with a three year
warranty for far less that what I spent and it would have been much better
and faster.  The total price ended up being over four times the estimate I
was originally given.

Leicas brochure leaves a lot to be desired.

Bill Grimwood

I don't want this to happen to my Digilux.