Subject: Re: [Leica] 400 help
From: nbwatson@juno.com (N. B. Watson)
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 13:37:32 EST

Nature/wildlife is one of my specialities.  If you are shooting for your
own recreational use and you don't mind missing some shots due to lack of
AF or a fast motor-drive (R8), then you can stay with Leica and enjoy the
deep-down satisfaction that comes from owning the most expensive,
finely-crafted and arguably optically-superior 35mm SLR system around.
If you are shooting for stock, take a look at what 99% of the most
successful pros are using, and the decision is between Nikon and Canon.
Period.  Check the statement by Art Wolfe in this month's Outdoor
Photographer regarding the need for AF and competitiveness in the field.

There is, however no reason to go "all Canon" or "all Nikon" and sell
your Leicas.  You can purchase an EOS1n (or wait for the EOS3 due
momentarily) or even a Nikon F5 and 400 2.8, for the same (or perhaps
less) than the Leica 400 alone.

Regards,
Nigel

On Wed, 11 Nov 1998 11:15:46 -0500 "Gary D. Whalen"
<whalen@whalentennis.com> writes:
>  I am planning on purchasing a 400 2.8 lense for nature/wildlife and
>would GREATLY appreciate any input on Leica vs Canon(autofocus).
>Bottom line - is the Leica 400 2.8 better than the Canon and if so
>please state why.
>
>    I am trully fighting this decision as very soon I am planning on
>purchasing a complete new system.  BUT, this system must have long
>focal
>lengths and I am trying to decide whether or not the autofocus
>capability of the Canon is worth investing in the entire Canon system.
>Although I believe that the shorter focal length lenses <300 do not
>necessarily need autofocus I believe that once you get into the
>400-600
>range autofocus is an advantage.  I want to go full Leica but I am not
>sure of :
>
>        A:  Canon vs Leica lense quality
>        B:  Autofocus vs. Manual focus.
>
>    Thank you in advance.
>
>    David Whalen

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]