Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V4 #36
From: pcb@iac.co.jp (Paul C. Brodek)
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 1998 23:30:09 +0900

Hi Nigel,

I think the CL bodies were identical (made by Minolta in Japan) except
for the badging.  The 40/2.0 Rokkor was make in Japan by Minolta,
while the 40/2.0 Summicron-C and both the 90/4.0 Elmar-C and 90/4.0
Rokkor were made in Germany by Leica.

On Thu, 05 Nov 1998 19:47:48 EST, nbwatson@juno.com (N. B. Watson)
wrote:

Regards,

PB

>I was always under the impression that the CLs (Leica and "Leitz
>Minolta") were identical except for the badging, and that the main
>drawback was the short-base rangefinder and the camming of the lenses.
>The *pure*-Minolta model was the CLE. It partially improved those
>shortcomings plus added a swing-open back , auto-exposure...and TTL flash
>with a small, dedicated strobe (which only took Leica 20 more years to
>decide was such a good idea they simply *had* to redesign the M6 for it).
>
>Regards,
>Nigel
>
>On Thu, 5 Nov 1998 16:36:50 -0700 Bob_Maxey@mtn.3com.com writes:
>
>>True, I never bought the Minolta CL for my use. I did buy one for a
>>gift,
>>but I gave them Leica optics. Incidentally, in all fairness to the
>>Minolta
>>version, we tested in seriously, and it was not a bad camera. I still
>>use
>>my CL as well as my Minox 35...both great cameras. We sold a number of
>>them
>>to people who owned Leica cameras.
>>
>>Bob

>or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Paul C. Brodek/Kobe, Japan
E-Mail: pcb@iac.co.jp
Tel/Fax: 078-857-3747
Tel/Fax (Int'l): 81-78-857-3747