Subject: [Leica] London Lugnuts meeting
From: "Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 15:51:26 -0000

To date, the following have expressed an interest in attending on
Sunday November 22, though not everyone is sure if they'll be able to
make it:

Arthur C. R. Krick
leica@mistral.co.uk

Martin Plant
houghton@powernet.com

Jeremy Kime
jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk

Frank Dernie
FrankDernie@compuserve.com

Alistair Firkin
firkin@mail.netconnect.com.au

Alex Brattell
alex@zetetic.co.uk

(who is probably the same guy as abrattell@mail.globalnet.co.uk)

Hans Pahlen
Hans.Pahlen@mark.komvux.se

Ian Stanley
ianstanley@mistral.co.uk

plus myself (probably).

If I've missed anyone out, could they please email me so I can add
their details.

Now, we need to decide on what we plan to do the event of:

1) good weather
2) poor weather
3) pouring rain

We need to gather somewhere in central London which will be easy for
the out-of-town guys to reach.

Gerry (Walden) IGwpics@aol.com wrote:

>May I suggest the "Pret a Mange" as a suitable meeting place. This is
on the
>corner opposite the Photographer Gallery in Great Newport Street
(nearest tube
>is Leicester Square). The location is a very short walk from Covent
Garden.
>We could the return to the Photographers Gallery for lunch and to
look at
>whatever they are showing on the day.

Sound like a fair idea - I'll check in the next few days to find out
of these places are open on Sundays.

As I've explained before, I'm a journalist, much of those photography
consists of pointing a Leica at whatever is urgently newsworthy and
pressing the button. So I haven't a clue where to suggest we should
go. (Indeed I can't even guarantee I'll be free to be there on the
day.)

So let's have some ideas . . .

Alex Brattell <alex@zetetic.co.uk> suggested walking round the
Bishopsgate, Spitalfields,
Shoreditch, Whitechapel area, taking in street markets such as
Petticoat Lane (leather and general), Spitalfields (crafts, organic
veg, bric-a-brac), Columbia Rd (plants & flowers) and Brick Lane
(everything).

"The City of London is a walk away and quiet, perfect to wander
about", says he. "Spitalfields is a large Victorian covered space,
handy if it's a wet day."

Inevitably the cold & rain will finally drive us into a pub <sigh>,
but I'm sure we'll survive the experience (except for Alistair who
won't be ready for lukewarm beer).

I suggested that we finish at a Greek restuarant since these tend to
be farly cheap and informal and the simpler grills which should be on
the menu and should be acceptable to most tastes. (The problem with
going completely ethnic is that some people might not like the type of
food chosen.) I'll see what I can find that is open on Sunday, a day
when most will be in
Never on Sunday" mode.

Let's hear your ideas, guys.

Regards,