Subject: Re: [Leica] 50/1.5 summarit
From: drbledsoe <drbledsoe@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 19:07:10 -0800 (PST)

You have received some excellent feedback on the properties of the
50/1.5 Summarit.  But I think it is important to understand that the
Summarit was optimized for mid aperture use for scenic shots and what
not.  It was designed to provide the additional speed for the
occasional low light shot but that was not its strong point, and
wasn't intended to be. It was really a lens designed for amateurs who
mostly shoot in daylight with an occasional low light shot.  It was
not intended as a professionals lens for primarily low light use.
Interestingly neither was the first version 50/1.4 Summilux.  It had
similar characteristics to the Summarit (tendency to flare, lower
contrast, and coma at wide open).

The Summarit is an excellent lens as a general purpose lens.  When
stopped down a couple of stops from wide open its contrast increases,
it flares less, and it sharpens up considerably.  At f/5.6 and smaller
mine was quite comparable to my old Summicron in performance.  And it
was nice to have the additional speed on those occasions when I needed
it.  It does, however, have its own wide open characteristics that can
be exploited or complained about (much like any other lens).

If you find a nice one at a good price don't pass it up.  It will do
nicely until you can afford a newer faster lens.

Best, Don