Subject: Re: [Leica] Darkroom update
From: drodgers@nextlink.net
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 16:37:14 -0800

Tina

>>I've got an Osram adjustable light that you can turn up and down
depending on the paper you are using.<<

That's sounds like a nifty light. As you may be aware, a Thomas Safelight
has wings in which you can put a second set of filters (I used Panalure
safe filters). The wings can be raised or lowered. That's about all the
adjustment you have.

The biggest reason that I removed the Thomas was my timer arrangement. A
few years back I found an old solid state timer at a garage sale for $10.
It's adjustable from .1 to 900 seconds. I wired 4 separate (switched)
outlets -- one for each enlarger -- to the enlarger circut. I wired all my
safelights -- except for a very dim one over my sink -- to the safelight
circut. I push one a button or a foot pedal to focus or print. An enlarger
goes on and all the safelights go out, and visa versa. You can't turn the
Thomas on and off quickly. It's bad for the sodium light, which takes a
minute to heat up.

Print quality was the same in my bathroom darkroom. But a permanent
darkroom is certainly more convenient.

Dave