Subject: RE: [Leica] Softies
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 16:29:02 -0800

Hi Jem,

>Perhaps truth is stranger than fiction. This was indeed the subject of an
>'art photographer' show back in the late 70's here in Britain. It seems
>there's nothing new under the sun. Cinema verite and all that.<<<<<<<

I guess about 72-73 the National Film Board of Canada got all wrapped up in
the pseudo-art shit instead of sticking to what they had for years, pure
documentary photography of Canadians at work and play.

However the "dragon lady" :) who was the executive director got the hots
for art!!!! ?????????????? Actually she was conned big time by some guys
who I think spaced her on something. :)

But 7 or 8 photographers in Vancouver, a hot bed of the artsy crafty crap
of the day, ended up with a huge pile of money in the amount of many
thousands for a nouveau art exhibition of what consisted of all their saved
images shot into the trunk of their cars or feet as they loaded cameras.

No bull shit!!!! And it was given a showing at the NFB photo-gallery in
Ottawa with a huge wine and goodies opening! Politicians etc!  Many of the
real photographers in the city sent very nasty letters to the editor and to
the government Minister responsible for the NFB complaining about the waste
of money on such garbage.

Nada happened!!  As the country was beginning to get away from real pure
photojournalism documentaries and into the "art shit" that helped kill the
days of photojournalism in Canada. And eventually the demise of B&W
photography here.

Fortunately a few of us stayed believers and continued doing B&W self
projects, but Canada has never recovered in the governments responsibility
to document how we live in this country for future generations.

So I know of what you speak in the UK.

ted