Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Mythology v Reality - A Call For A Thoughtful Discussion
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 21:37:08 -0600

>Most of us are average blokes with no *real* talents. We may be
>good at something, but that's usually because we enjoy it and put
>some time at it. That's not a put down to the population, at large.
>That's the way I think it should be. True talent should be rare!

I don't see it that way. I think a lot of people just don't find what they
are capable of. We sit around in our mediocre lives, going the "easy route"
way too often. We never challenge ourselves to reach heights. We rarely
seek out new experiences that will stretch us. We too often believe the
"man." The one who tells us we're not worth much. That we can't do what we
want. I had a teacher in sixth grade who did me no good - for years after -
making me think I was bad at math. I was a quiet little guy who never spoke
up, or said boo to my teachers, I just accepted it. (Can you believe that?)
I found out my senior year in high school he screwed up. My grades went
from Cs to As overnight.

On the other hand, true genius is rare, and will always be. That's a whole
lot different than the word talent as I understand it. I suspect that
talent is more related to passion than to genes. If you really care about
photography, and immerse yourself in it, I suspect you might become pretty
good. With a LOT of hard work. Unless your a...genius? Some savants can
play Beethoven without practicing. Who wants the life they have outside of
the scope of their one capability? Not me. I'll take talent over some types
of genius any day for sure.

Of course, talent comes in an infinite variety. ;-)
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

It is of interest to note that while some dolphins are reported to have
learned English...no human being has been reported to have learned
dolphinese.

Carl Sagan