Subject: Re: [Leica] LOCAL STORES
From: RBedw51767@aol.com
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 17:28:40 EST

Nigel:

This is truly unfortunate because both you and your local dealer really miss a
lot.  I am very fortunate to have a local Leica dealer that truly understands
that their competition is not necessarily the independent photo dealer in the
next town or the local chain photo dealer, but the mail order shops in New
York or the west coast.  They understand that in order to get their serious
photo hobbyist or professionals coming back into their store for film, paper,
batteries, chemicals, etc.,  they must be competitive on the big ticket stuff.
It must be a give and take relationship. They need a reasonable profit to
exist and I need them for information, fast service, friendship and a source
for products on Saturday afternoon when I run out of chemicals.  There have
been times that I have had a need for a very long focal length lense and they
were there to lend it to me at no charge.  Call B & H and ask them to lend you
a lense for several days!.   I think that it is very important to extend your
friendship to those that you need and those that need you.  I go out of my way
to be kind, generous, attentive and loyal to my photo supplier, auto dealer
and service center and any other business that is important to me.  Some of my
very favorite people are ones that I have met ithere.  In fact, that is where
I met our fellow Lugger, Dan Post whom I have very high respect.    Basically
those that you extend yourself to do the very same in return.  I don't believe
that I have ever spoken to a friendly or caring person at B & H or any other
large mail order dealer that I have patronized.  Perhaps I have paid a few
cents more for products but I don't really care because I have received so
much more in return.

I am very lucky and I protect this relationship with a vengeance.  Hopefully
you will be as lucky as I to find a dealer that understands your importance as
much as I have in my dealer.

The very best to you,

Bob Bedwell
Greensboro

<<  I agree wholeheartedly.  I have *never* done my pre-purchase research at
 my local camera shop.  Firstly, I think it would be clearly wrong to take
 up their time all the while never intending to pay their prices.
 Secondly, I've heard them sling enough b---s--- at naive, wide-eyed
 customers to fill a barn.  Whenever I find myself suddenly out of film, I
 try to take up as little of their time as I can, whilst paying them $2
 *per film* more than the local Mart-Mart and $3 more than mail-order.
 They also sell a particular Nikkor lens for $1300 which cost $950 at B&H.
  That is $350 difference.  If I were to take up 2 hours of their time
 discussing the purchase, that would be $175 per hour.  That is more than
 many attorneys charge.  Please, as you Americans say "give me a break".

 Regards,
 Nigel