Subject: [Leica] Re: Darkroom Painting
From: jimbrick@photoaccess.com (Jim Brick)
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 14:19:24 -0800

Thousands of people use a bathroom as a darkroom. Many people use a spare
bedroom as a darkroom.
Do they re-paint the room before using it?   NO
Does a darkroom have to have black paint? NO
Does a darkroom have to have dark paint?  NO
Does it matter at all what color paint is in you darkroom?  NO
Should your darkroom be a comfortable fun place to be?  YES
So paint it as you would any other room. Mine happens to be white.

If your enlarger leaks enough light to fog your paper (highly unlikely) fix
the enlarger.

Jim

At 12:50 PM 10/29/98 -0700, you wrote:
>>>Don't make it too dark!  The only walls that need to be dark are those
>right around the enlarger that might reflect stray light from the enlarger.
> The rest of the walls can be bright white and it's much more cheerful if
>they are.  It multiplies the little bit of light cast by the safelight but
>is still safe.
>
>I agree. I went through this and dark paint was a real problem. The
>darkroom I worked in had the top half of the walls a light yellow and the
>bottom half flat black. The lighting was very good and easy to work in.
>
>RM

http://www.photoaccess.com
Jim Brick, ASMP, BIAA
Photo Access