Subject: [Leica] RE: darkroom update
From: drodgers@nextlink.net
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 13:17:12 -0800

Tina:

>>You wrote:

>>Don't make it too dark!

My darkroom is about 9'X 12'. I put a Thomas safelight in the middle. I
could hardly call it a darkroom anymore. I did some extensive testing for
fogging and discovered a problem. It happened when I preexposed the paper
to a certain threshold, which I now do for all safelight testing (i.e.
identify and give max exposure for zero density, then do the coin test). I
blamed the Thomas and took it down. I left up the smaller lights. Turns out
the fogging was caused by one of the smaller lights. The filter was old so
I replaced it and the problem cleared up. I tested the Thomas again and
there was no problem. Still I took it down. I couldn't get used to working
in that much light. Plus I'm 6 foot and the light hung down to 5 feet ll
1/2 inches. I banged my head every time I got overly excited about a print
and sprinted across the room to turn on the 5000K lights.

Dave