Subject: Re: [Leica] LOCAL STORES
From: "Thomas M. Wyse" <tmwyse@centuryinter.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 14:47:45 -0600

>At 01:32 PM 1998-10-29 EST, Nigel Watson, mayhaps a bit short-sightedly,
>wrote:
>>In any case I feel
>>that, not being of unlimited wealth, I find it impossible to feel
>>charitable towards local shops that charge 10-15-20% or more above the
>>New York, US mail-order shops for the exact same goods including
>>warranties, etc.
>
>Nigel
>
>The local stores will take the time to talk you through things, to help you
>see exactly what you need.  These large NYC outlets are simply that:  they
>are order-takers and order-fillers, for the most part.  It is worth a 15%
>surcharge to support local expertise.
>
>Marc

Let me add a heartfelt AMEN...I ran a gun shop for several years and it was
quite common for people to come in and take up literaly hours of my time
"fingering" every gun in the house and asking a gazillion questions and then
go to the local MART-MART and purchase the item and saving perhaps 10 to 15
percent...I even had them have the audasity to bring there new rifle and
scope back to me and ask if I could put the scope on for
them...(suuuurrrreee I did).  If you need assistance in making a purchase,
please have the decency to be willing to pay the merchant for his
expertise...
tom