Subject: [Leica] Lugnuts meeting in London
From: "Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 13:39:58 -0000

Alex Brattell <alex@zetetic.co.uk> wrote:

>I'd love to meet other LUGNUTS (to prove to myself that you're not
not just
>a bunch of electrons!), though I doubt that I'd be up for the whole
>prgramme. But I'd love to catch up with you in a pub or restaurant -
will
>you be making some kind of schedule so this would be possible?

At the moment there is no fixed plan, but I'll post info to the list
as things firm up.

>I'm under the impression that most of the Greek restaurants in
central
>London (eg Charlotte St) are places for office workers to behave
badly,
>where chewing gum from underneath the tables gets transferred to the
knees
>of your trousers. But that's my prejudice, based on limited
experience,
>don't take my word for it as I don't eat in them!

No office workers on a Sunday, I hope!

>May I recommend a curry in Brick Lane with BYO booze. Banglatown is
waking
>up to the excitement of neon but the restaurants still offer good
value, and
>the surrounding (walkable) area (Bishopsgate, Spitalfields,
Shoreditch,
>Whitechapel) is much more interesting and varied than the shopfronts
of the
>West End. Go to Liverpool Street station armed with maps and film.
Watch out
>for the Jack the Ripper tours wandering about like farts in a trance
>imagining dead bodies all over the place.

Another reason I suggested Greek is that simple grills are unsually on
the menu and should be acceptable to most tastes. The problem with
going completely ethnic is that some people might not like the type of
food chosen.

>Sunday morning in that area is busy with markets - Petticoat Lane
(leather
>and general - in Middlesex St!), Spitalfields (crafts, organic veg,
>bric-a-brac, goes on later than the others), Columbia Rd (plants &
flowers)
>and Brick Lane (everything) markets all virtually merge into each
other, but
>the City of London is a walk away and quiet, perfect to wander about.
>Spitafields is a large Victorian covered space, handy if it's a wet
day.

Great ideas - just what we need! (Although I've worked in London, it's
not a city I know. I use my cameras for journalistic/industrial
photography, so have no idea of where to take "serious"
photographers.)

Gerry (Walden) IGwpics@aol.com wrote:

>May I suggest the "Pret a Mange" as a suitable meeting place. This is
on the
>corner opposite the Photographer Gallery in Great Newport Street
(nearest tube
>is Leicester Square). The location is a very short walk from Covent
Garden.
>We could the return to the Photographers Gallery for lunch and to
look at
>whatever they are showing on the day.

Another good idea. What do other folks think?

Regards,

Doug Richardson