Subject: Re: [Leica] Xray machines
From: Dennis Painter <dwp@deltanet.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 17:45:05 -0800

Stephen Kobrin wrote:
<snip>

> Question:  I have also used lead foil bags and wonder if they are of
> any use.  The reason I wonder is that the airport security people have
> never asked me to open one.  If it really blocks xrays, one would
> think they would be curious about what is inside it.
>
> Steve

What was your experience with the lead foil bags?

I expect the lead foil cannot be relied upon in checked baggage with the
new xray machines that 'crank it up' on dense objects.  But I don't
think the hand baggage xray machines are as powerful so they might offer
some protection in that situation.

I did have an unusual experience with hand baggage once.  I was flying
to Hawaii with cremains (ashes from a cremation) and apparently its so
dense it doesn't show anything on their machine. The asked me to open it
and when I told them what was inside the security guard got excited (she
believed in ghosts) and just waved me on. ;-)

It would appear that the clear plastic bag, presented at the walk thru
counter is the way to go for 35mm.  I am still concerned about 120 as I
will be traveling soon with it also and am afraid they won't have a clue
that its 'really film'  Someone else also posed the question about boxes
of 4x5 film too.

Dennis