Subject: [Leica] Another Leica chronicle
From: nbwatson@juno.com (N. B. Watson)
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 09:23:44 EST

It was so interesting to read the recent accounts of people's
introduction to and evolution with the Leica system.  My own saga started
in my teens when I inherited a model IIIa and IIIf (BD) along with a 3,5
Summaron, 5,0 Elmar, 9,0 Elmar and 13,5 Hektor lenses, an Imarect finder,
a little table tripod and a host of filters including the 36mm swing-out
pola, all of which was in hardly-used condition.  It quickly replaced my
ancient folding Kodak as well as spurred me to a lifelong dedication to
the art.  Eventually I graduated to the "M" system where by this time the
M2 was available and selling well and I liked the finder much better than
the M3, so ended up with two of those bodies (both the later versions
with the PV and ST) retrofitted with the Leica quick-loading devises.  In
short order I accumulated 21 Super-Angulon f3.4, 35 f2.8 Summaron, 50
f2.8 Elmar, 90 Tele-Elmarit (the "heavy" one), and 135 Elmar (with the
built-in tripod bush...wish they still had that!).  All those lenses were
in silver-finish mounts.
When the M4 was discontinued "the first time", I snatched one up, and by
the time the M5 had passed through and the M4-2 was introduced, I'd
become hooked on the rapid-rewind and the 135 frameline, and purchased
one; lens lust being the irresistable lure that it is, my '60s arsenal
was gradually supplanted with newer versions, including 35 and 50
Summicrons to replace the older 2.8's, a "slim" 90 Tele-Elmarit, 135
Tele-Elmar (sans tripod mount, unfortunately) and a very late 21
Super-Angulon; all these were in black mounts of course...looked better
on the M4-2 than the chrome M4, but that's progress.
It was the 90's before I finally succumbed to the M6, first a silver one
and then a black.  The silver one lost its slow speeds just before a
major voyage and I had no time to do else but bring out the credit card
and purchase a new one whilst the old one went off for repairs, with
intent to be sold upon my return.  The '70s lenses were so magnificent
that I was very reluctant to upgrade.  I did purchase the 90 Elmarit-M
and 28 Elmarit straight away, but it wasn't until the 35 Summicron ASPH
and 21 ASPH came about that I upgraded those focal lengths; quite
unexpectedly I happened upon a new-mount 135 f4 for a very good price and
since my 135 was 20 years old I thought it had served me well enough to
be retired.
I am sure my story is quite mundane compared with the equipment which has
no doubt flowed through the fingers of truly dedicated Leicaphiles (to
say nothing of the truly obsessed!)...one fact perhaps noteworthy,
though, is that I am yet the proud owner of each and every piece of the
foregoing Leica systems, right back to the LTM outfit.  I always
rationalised to myself at first that I should keep the older models
"until I was sure the new ones were functioning properly"; then, that I
should keep them "as backups in case of damage or theft".  Finally, I am
willing to admit that they are like dear old friends.  I exercise them
regularly and have had them serviced.  Lest anyone believe I am simply a
daft sentimentalist, I have casually parted with bags of Nikons over the
years.  I consider them tools; Leicas are as instruments.  A *seemingly*
innocuous semantic difference, but to those who understand.....

Regards,
Nigel

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]