Subject: Re: [Leica] diluting XTOL
From: "Martin V. Howard" <marho@ida.liu.se>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 17:08:57 +0200

Disfromage@aol.com wrote:

> I dilute 1:1 also.  But, I do it because I'm too lazy to do the math
> to compensate development times as it is used and gets tired.  Also, I
> know it's fresh each time.

If I've understood Kodak correctly, the times need to be extended even
when using one-shot diluted XTOL.  It is the amount of undiluted, fresh
XTOL per film that determines if the times should be extended.  If
memory serves me, 1-5 rolls uses the times stated, 6-10 rolls should
extend the time by 15% and 11-15 rolls should extend them by 30%.

So, in a tank that uses 570ml of liquid for two films, using XTOL at
1+1 dilution, results in 142.5ml of undiluted XTOL per film.  This
is equal to about 7 rolls of film per litre of undiluted, fresh XTOL.
Therefore, times need to be extended by 15%.

There used to be a webpage called "The Ecstacy of XTOL" that explained
all this in detail, but I cannot seem to find it.  AltaVista draws a
blank, as does HotBot.  The information can be gleaned from Kodak's
infosheet though.

M.

- --
Martin V. Howard, Application Systems Laboratory,     |
Dept. of Comp. & Info. Sci., Linkoping University,    | Just "DOHH" it!
SE-581 83 Linkoping, Sweden.  Tel +46 13 282 421,     +----------------+
Fax +46 13 142 231; marho@ida.liu.se; www.ida.liu.se/~marho