Subject: [Leica] diluting XTOL
From: Stephen Kobrin <skobrin@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 06:03:26 -0700 (PDT)

There have been a number of comments on the LUG about using XTOL at a
1:1 or greater dilution.  What is the rationale?  My Kodak info sheets
talk about an increase in film speed, but that cannot be all there is
to it.  I develop TMAX 100 and 400 in XTOL and have been very pleased
with the results at full strength.  What will I get by going to a
diluted solution?

On a related issue, I scan all of my B&W negatives.  Do any of you
develop B&W film differently for digital processing than you would for
"wet" enlarging?  I wonder if increasing the contrast digitally has
more of an impact in terms of loss of highlight and shadow detail ( or
tonality) than would be the case with a conventional print.  If that
is the case, and it is just a guess, should it be, or can it be,
compensated for in development??

Steve