Subject: Re: [Leica] Another Puzzling Dilemma
From: Lucien <lucien@ubi.edu>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 14:56:16 +0200

Jeremy Kime wrote:

> The intrigue lies with the 35/3.5 Summaron, it keys in the 50mm frame so you'd
> think it was for the M3, but there are no goggles on it, nor any marks where
> they could have been attached, the whole lens looks original, the frame
> finder keying lug has not been re-worked at all.
> The only thought I've had is that maybe early 35mm lenses for the M3 were
> available before the goggles solution was invented? The frame line
> illuminated was perhaps deemed irrelevant as the supplementary finder would
> have been used.

Jeremy,

It's exactly that.
From 1954 to 1956-7 the Summaron 35 was made without goggles for the M3
an was intended to be used with the SBLOO/12010 35mm viewfinder.
Then in 1956 Leitz started production of the Goggles Summaron,
and in 1957 of the M2 Summaron.
(In 1957, the M2 was made at 200 ex.-first batch)

Be sure to check the glass of the lenses with a lamp.
Those lenses are known to be very often hazy.

Cheers,

Lucien