Subject: [Leica] Darkroom Waste & Septic Systems
From: Stephen Alred <salred@toad.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 20:09:38 -0400

I am a very low volume processor (maybe 20 rolls of B&W film a year/
several gallons of  developer /stop bath / fixer / hypo clear), and have
been on a home septic system for about 10 years with no ill effects.

I got the Kodak publication J-55, "Disposal and Treatment of Photographic
Effluent", when I first set up the darkroom, and to paraphrase its section
on septic tanks and leach fields:
* the ratio of sanitary wastes (kitchen, washing, bathroom) to photographic
wastes should be at least 3:1
* avoid the discharge of chemicals such as sodium or potassium dichromate,
chlorine bleach, or "other oxidizers or biocides."

Alternate means of disposal are referenced in publication J-52,"Disposal of
Small Volumes of Photographic Processing Solutions", which I did not get.
Perhaps these publications are on the Kodak web site.

Finally, I, too, mix the various solutions before dumping them down the
drain and run the water for a while to further dilute them.

Regards,

Steve Alred