Subject: [Leica] Off topic: A photo
From: Vondauster@aol.com
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 21:27:44 EDT

Hi All,

Since when are photographs off topic? When taken with the rival G system...

This morning's sunrise as seen from Boulder, Colorado, USA was one of the
nicer ones I've seen lately. So I grabbed my handiest camera - a G2 and Planar
45 - and shot a roll of slides from the roof of our Laboratory. The film is
processed.  I scanned the shot I liked best and have put it on the web. Have a
look - either go to my site at:

http://www.fsl.noaa.gov/~vondaust/

then to "Short Portfolio", then "Stock", then image #53. Or you can go
directly to the image at:

http://www.fsl.noaa.gov/~vondaust/stock/stock53.html

I am very pleased with the performance of the Planar at f5.6, handheld. On the
original, far distant telephone poles (on the horizon) are visible at the
grain level. The color rendition is excellent, the flare very well controlled
with the sun as a point source. No filters, of course. The original has that
nice "3D" look we strive for sometimes.

I'm sure a Leica Summicron would have done as well or better. But you know for
the price, if someone is looking for a knockaround camera, I feel the current
G1 and Planar for $1K deal warrants consideration over some of the various
alternatives discussed today.

Will von Dauster