Subject: Re: [Leica] Minilux Question
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 20:05:48 +0200

Richard,

I am a devoted Leica user by now; however, I always like to have a small
point-and-shoot that I can carry in my pocket everywhere. I also require the
possibility of setting aperture manually, which eliminated the Minilux Zoom. I
have had a Ricoh GR1 since the winter for this purpose, but recently had a
chance to buy a Minilux (regular, not zoom) at a good price and did so. After
putting 3 rolls of film through it I sold it this week. Why? Lousy ergonomics.
For example, I often need to turn off the Auto Flash mode. On the Minilux, this
requires 7 (seven!) pushes of a small button to cycle through the various flash
modes. And when you turn off the camera, this particular setting returns to the
default auto setting and you have to repeat the procedure. Setting exposure
compensation is likewise awkward: you first press a small button for 3 seconds
until 0.0 starts blinking in the display, and then you push it repeatedly until
you reach the desired compensation. When you turn off the camera, this setting
is saved, but there is no warning in the display.  In contrast, on the Ricoh
GR1, you set flash mode with a simple slider switch, and exposure compensation
with a shutter-speed type of rotating button. You immediately see the settings
and they stay put until you want to change them. Same for aperture. The Ricoh's
lens is very good too, and although at 2.8 it is slightly slower than the
Minilux's 2.4, I find its 28mm focal length more useful than the Minilux's 40mm.
This is obviously a matter of taste. What is not is the 1/500 sec. shutter speed
of the Ricoh, better than either of the Miniluxes.

I concluded that the Minilux and Minilux Zoom are great cameras if you do most
of your shooting in auto-everything mode; but if you frequently want some degree
of control, then the Ricoh is a better choice (and considerably cheaper too).

Kind regards,

Nathan

Richard Clompus wrote:

> Dear Fellow LUGnuts,
>
> I made the mistake of purchasing my wife a Canon Elf APS camera.  The camera
> is small, convenient but the zoom lens isn't sharp.  Even my wife commented
> that the images didn't seem clear.  I am about to purchase her first Leica.
> I thought I'd get her the Minilux Zoom.  I already have the Contax T2 and
> TVS cameras for travel.
>
> Has anyone had any experience with the Minlux Zoom?  Any comments would be
> helpful.  The top shutter speed is only 1/250 of a second.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Happy shooting,
>
> Richard
> Richard Clompus, OD