Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W and color
From: "John McLeod" <johnmcleod@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 11:37:02 +0000

LUGgers,

I have enjoyed this discussion of b&w/color because, while I much prefer b&w
for most applications, I shoot mostly slides due to the ease and instant
gratification.  B&w represents a lot of work for me since, like many of you,
I develop the film and make the prints myself.  If I want a Cibachrome, on
the other hand, I have someone do it for me.

So I'm interested in Steve's comments (below) regarding the relative ease of
using Photoshop for b&w.   Please forgive my ignorance, but I have no idea
what the cuKrrent potential is for digitally produced b&w prints.  I have
always assumed that there is NOTHING like a silver b&w print and that great
b&w digital is years off.  Am I wrong here?  Given a reasonable computer,
scanner, and printer investment (don't ask me what's "reasonable"!), does
digital b&w quality compare well with silver prints?  If so, maybe I need to
give it a try.  Thanks.

John McLeod