Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W / Color
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 07:57:54 -0400

At 10:03 PM 10/20/98 -0700, you wrote:

>Take two cameras, one with color, the other with B&W. Take the exact same
>photographs with both. Print both color and B&W prints (8x10 or better).
>Typically, more color photographs work than B&W, simply because of the
>color. After taking the photograph, most of the color work is done. The B&W
>work has just begun.
>
>Jim

Hi, Jim -

I enjoyed reading about your background.  Brooks Institute really has the
right ideas for teaching photography!  I agree that black and white is more
difficult to work with than color but that doesn't necessarily mean that
more color photographs work than B&W.  I carry two cameras (at least!) one
with color and one with black and white and so I have a lot of very similar
shots in each.  I put together a slide show to illustrate the difference
for a photography class I was teaching.  Since then I have presented the
slide show to many more groups, always asking them to vote on whether they
prefer the black and white or color.  They always overwhelmingly prefer the
black and white.  I know my own prejudices come in here because I prefer
the black and white, too, and so I probably work harder for those photos.
Another factor is that all of my photographs are of people.   People
photographs, to me, are just more effective in black and white.  I can see
that landscapes might work more often in color.  This is an interesting
discussion.  Thanks!

Leically,

Tina
Tina Manley, ASMP