Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Europe: Street/museum photography
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 08:05:22 +0100

Bill,

Breaking into a car can and does indeed happen everywhere. I have had my =
car
broken into a vandalized in Lawrenceville, NJ, as peaceful a small town a=
s you
will find in the U.S. (I lived there 1990-95). I have had my car broken i=
nto in
New York. Given that it happened in broad daylight, in a "safe" part of M=
anhattan
with lots of pedestrian traffic, I am assuming that some passers-by must =
have seen
it happening and obviously did nothing. That does not mean that I stopped=
 going to
Manhattan.

Incidentally, a few years ago the state of Florida passed a law prohibiti=
ng any
marking of rental cars as rentals (i.e. no more Hertz stickers, no specia=
l license
plates etc.). The reason? Crooks would follow tourists after they had pic=
ked up
their rental car in, say, Orlando airport, created a small accident on a =
deserted
stretch of road, and then robbed the tourists at gunpoint, sometimes with=
 fatal
consequences. This puts your Paris incident into some perspective...

Nathan

WOCCCC@aol.com wrote:

>   My 2 cents on the issue.  When you are in a 'good' area of a given ci=
ty i.e.
> Paris, and your rental car is broken into and your gear stolen while on=
 your
> way to photograph something, like say, the 24 Hours of Le Mans, you wil=
l get a
> bad taste for the city.  Could it happen anywhere?  Possibly.  Would th=
e local
> shopkeepers and people walking by call the police while the crooks are =
prying
> open the doors and trunk?  One would hope so though they didn't there.
>   Having traveled the world with no problems, this city will stand out =
in a
> negative way and has an impact on returning.
>   As I said, my 2 cents on the issue.
>
> Bill

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Manager, Commercial Management
AT&T-Unisource Communications Services v.o.f.
1945 Chauss=E9e de Wavre, 1160 Brussels, BELGIUM
Tel. +32 2 676 3683 (Brussels) or +31 23 569 7516 (Hoofddorp)
Fax  +32 2 676 3874 (Brussels) or +31 23 569 7533 (Hoofddorp)
Mobile +32 75 494 102
E-mail: nathan.wajsman@euronet.be