Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V3 #363
From: "Jeff S" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 10:20:50 -0600

Peter--The Leica M2 is a finely made camera, but better than the M6 from a
user's
point of view? You must be kidding; all the beautifully chromed and machined
metal won't make up for the fact that it's awkward by comparison.

They forget (or never knew) that most of the
>greatest pictures ever taken were taken with manual, unmetered cameras and
>common materials. Cartier-Bresson, Gene Smith, Edward Weston, Paul Strand,
>etc. These people used cameras that most photographic technophiles would
>turn their noses up at. Screw mount Leicas, wooden 8x10's with clunky
>shutters and uncoated lenses, etc. And they didn't need built-in meters
>because they understood exposure. [snip]

FWIW, a 1975 photo of HCB shows him with a Leica CL dangling from his neck;
the others are dead.

Jeff