Subject: Re: [Leica] Carrying - Tripod
From: nbwatson@juno.com (N. B. Watson)
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 18:29:09 EDT

I should have specified "travelling" to mean by car, or carrying the
tripod aboard a jetliner.  Whenever I send my tripod through checked
baggage, it is diagonally (with head removed) in a hardshell valise
wrapped inside my clothing.  No practical amount of bubblewrap will
absolutely protect an aluminium or even carbon-fibre tripod from being
bent or dented or broken (in the case of c-f) if it is subjected to
sufficient force whilst in baggage handling.  Unlike golf clubs, tripods
weren't designed for severe flexure.

Regards,
Nigel

On Mon, 12 Oct 1998 16:38:27 EDT Kekfoto@aol.com writes:
>Hi Nigel & all,
>
>I couldn't agree more re:bubblewrap/foamwrap wrapped around you tripod
>while
>traveling. My Tiltall bag - I carry my old unadorned Marchioni in it -
>is
>indeed made of a padded fabric but the bubblewrap has saved my tripod
>from
>harm in mishandling incidents.
>
>                     Kirk

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]