Subject: [Leica] Beoon and TriX
From: Beoon@aol.com
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 10:15:24 EDT

Comments if I may on the Beoon note and the Tri-X user.  Beoon is an ideal
device for copying things like postage stamps as the writer noted.  Remember
in using it to focus the eyepiece first and then to lock the set screw on the
helix to avoid focus shifts.  Remember also to refocus when changing
reproduction ratios.  With an M6, the use of Beeon is near intuitive.  Some
comments on Tri-X from a veteran of 30 plus years in the motion picture
business.  The black and white motion picture negs were (and are) quite
different that the still films.  They are basically made for the
interpositive/dupe negative reproduction process and as such are a much
"flatter" film than the retail still films.   In the 60's and 70's a lot of
"short ends" of motion pictures stock were available either preloaded in
casettes or as bulk from sources like Spiratone.  The MP business generated a
lot of short ends, both black and white and color.  These were left overs from
1000' rolls usually--when you got down to that last 100' or so there wasn't
enough for another "take" and you'd reload.  The leftover pieces were often
sold to places that would repackage it for both the film and still markets.
Many a film students thesis has been shot on short ends.   You can verify the
differences by getting the current data sheets from Kodak's faxback service.
I think you'll also find that bulk and preloaded Tri-X (or Tmax or any of the
films)  are the same.  You may be hitting local variations in your processing
or some such difference.   Finally at risk of an opinion, the delight in
rediscovering the joys of Tri-X is very similar to the "old Leica lenses are
the best" arguement.  I think (subjectively) that the mastery of the new T-
grain emulsions requires an upgrade in our process controls that frankly not
all of us are up to.  Once you get that under control, the new films surpass
on nearly any level the old ones.  Really!
Will Wright