Subject: [Leica] polishing agents
From: nbwatson@juno.com (N. B. Watson)
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 12:54:49 EDT

I would caution those who would use various polishing agents to impart a
shine to their Leicas to have a good look at the ingredients and take
adequate care.  I'm sure no one would actually use a mister on their
camera, but another issue is the inclusion of wetting agents (designed to
decrease surface tension and help adhere the product to the finish),
polymerisation additives (to bond them to the surface), and petroleum
distillates in many products.  Aside from the damage these may do by
direct contact, there is the issue of the fumes they give off and what,
if any, they might do to glass (including the rfdr), rubber (shutter),
and electronic circuitry (such as the meter).  I am not a scientist, and
so before I would use a product on my Leica which was not designed
purposefully for that use, I would certainly have a word with a trusted
repair individual.

Regards,
Nigel

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]