Subject: Re: [Leica] The World at F1
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@istar.ca>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 09:48:54 -0300

Mary:

This vignetting occurs at F1, but in most cases it is not noticeable
because the light is not that even in low light situations anyways.  A
second reason why it is not seen is if it is not a full frame print.  If
you shoot print film, the vignetting can be cropped off in the prints.

On my home page, the pictures Cigar, Baby, and Kim were shot at F1.  Since
the background is well out of fucus in all of these, any vignetting there
may be is not noticeable.  The two other pictures, Boyd and Bruce, were
shot at 1.4 and are pretty evenly iluminated.

http://home.istar.ca/~robsteve/photography/Noctilux.htm

To put it simply, to get very noticable vignetting, load very slow film so
you can use F1 and the go outside and take a scenic shot and you will see
it in the corners.  Most indoor or night scenes are not illuminated evenly
enough to see the difference easily.  If you want no vignetting, shoot at
1.4 or smaller.

Regards,

Robert