Subject: [Leica] Europe: street/museum photography
From: M3novie@webtv.net (Scott Green)
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 23:33:00 -0700 (PDT)

Evenin' folks!

When I went down to Costa Rica this past August, I was at first a little
concerned myself with the purported "theft problem."  However, I can
honestly say that I never even once felt in any more danger than I do in
some places here in the San Francisco area -- or anywhere else I've
travelled for that matter.  And I am far from a hulking behemoth of a
guy!  135lbs do not offer much in the way of inertial resistance to
would-be thieves.  What I discovered was that my usual precautionary
measures seemed to suffice.  Only once did anyone even recognize the M3
with its 50 or 90 (I like 90's too, Marc) attached:  an elderly German
gentleman who spied me on Tamarindo Beach )twice actually), saying to
his wife, "Ah, this is gut Kamera."

Anyway, no matter what camera I'm carrying or where I'm carrying it, I
just try to use my head and common sense.  No flashy bags, strap
bandolero-style, never leaving it out of my immediate grasp (if it
leaves my grasp at all)  Besides, for the kind of shots I most often
"see," they'd be lost if I had to fumble around for the thing.  In fact,
it is this very point that made me finally buy my M3:  near instant
access thatcan be utilized almost like an extension of my (getting
iffier) eyes.  And while I'm on a roll :-) let me just say that I
finally bought a flash -- one of those new Metz CB20 sumthins -- but I
have yet to use it for anything more than a geee-whiz look at that shot.
For, like Ted et al, I most often see what's around me courtesy of the
Great Mamma Nature, rather than what I _might_ see with a blaze of Xenon
or whatever.  Admittedly, though, one of the reasons for this is that I
just plain don't know the finer points of flash.  But, then, there are
those tiems when I want one.  Will I ever use it?   Hmmm....???

Anyway, Roger, I say pishah to the guide books!  Just use your noggin'
and things'll probably be fine -- except for my growing jealousy ; )

Cheers!
Scott Green