Subject: Re: [Leica] Europe: street/museum photography
From: nbwatson@juno.com (N. B. Watson)
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 1998 16:18:57 EDT

1. I've heard a bit about cut-and-snatch thievery in Italy, but not in
other parts of Europe, but I'm sure there are neighbourhoods in the
safest of countries where such is possible, as well as running across
thieves who are not citizens of that place either.  It's always my
contention that such thieves (unlike the type you find in the US who are
armed with guns and one has about a 50:50 chance of being shot even if
one complies with the criminal) will go after the easiest-looking target
first, as example older or smaller individuals (women mostly) carrying
purses with thin straps slung over one shoulder.  A fairly
healthy-looking male carrying a thick-strapped camera bag bandolero-style
(across the body) is a harder target.  I prefer a bag which has both belt
and strap attachment.

2. The bag I will recommend is the Domke F5XB "Belt and Shoulder Bag".
It is exactly what you describe.  It also has a wide belt tunnel on the
back in addition to a removable shoulder strap.  Domke make a matching
wide belt, or you can simply thread your trouser belt.  It is just right
sized for your equipment, well-padded, very discreet (doesn't look like a
camera holdall) and has both a top zipper closure as well as a full flap
with velcro closure.  Best of all, you can buy it for less than USD$50.

Regards,
Nigel

> It's been a few years since several frequent ventures to the
>UK/Netherlands/Germany. During those visits I enjoyed the sights and
>as a tourist took many street and museum photos. Now I am planning the
>first of several return trips, now to Belgium, Germany, France and UK.
>I'll be taking my M3, 50mm Summilux, 35mm Sumicron and a hand-held
>meter (no flash).
>
>Two topics
>
>1) Many of the guide books I've read lately are warning about thieft
>of equipment on the streets. That was certainly not the case five
>years ago. Have things changed considerably? What do people in Europe
>do to secure equipement if that is the case.
>
>2) I'm looking for a minimalist bag to carry the three (body w/lens,
>lens, meter) items and I'm not having much luck. I'd like to keep the
>thinkness down (width of bag between body and "crowd"). With easy top
>a particular theme for street photography, I don't want it bouncing
>around my neck. I'm traveling with another person and they don't
>appreciate my getting too absorbed in what's going on in every
>doorway. cafe or street-corner.
>
>Any suggestions on either of these topics is greatly appreciated.
>
>Regards,
>
>Roger
>

>-----== Sent via Deja News, The Discussion Network ==-----
>http://www.dejanews.com/  Easy access to 50,000+ discussion forums

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]