Subject: [Leica] Leica in the movies
From: Jim Laurel <jplaurel@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 15:16:35 -0700

The other night, I was watching a program called "Survivors of the Skeleton
Coast" on the Discovery Channel.  This film was one of many made by Des and
Jen Bartlett and is distributed by National Geographic
http://www.cybersuperstores.com/natgeo/skeleton.html.

Anyway, this film was a triple treat for me.  First off, there are lots of
great shots of the Bartlett's battered Land Rover Series IIA, slogging
across the desert, heavily laden with supplies and equipment.  Then, there
are some still shots of Jen in her youth, brandishing a very long lens on
what appears to be a Visoflex.  And there are many contemporary shots of Jen
cleaning her Leicaflex SLs, unloading film from them, and toting them on
desert treks, and shooting with them from an ultralight aircraft.

Needless to say, I was enjoying the show immensely when a good friend of
mine, Jim Bruton, walks into the picture with his former wife (Julie
Bartlett), who happens to be Jen and Des' daughter!  Following are lots of
great shots of Jim filming seabirds on the coast, and showing thier young
son, Tarl how to use the Arriflex.

Conditions on the skeleton coast expeditions looked very demanding.  What
better equipment to have along that Leicas and Land Rovers!

Jim Laurel
Business Development Manager
Microsoft Digital Television
jplaurel@microsoft.com