Subject: Re: [Leica] M6TTL & M6 with flash.
From: jimbrick@photoaccess.com (Jim Brick)
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 1998 09:41:56 -0700

Being in the photo biz for 50 years, you all must know that I knew (know)
the answer to my own original question. I put it out to see if anyone other
than me, thought that the M6TTL with it's basackwards dial and three (four)
leds, was a fumble on the part of Leica marketing. No one has yet come up
with a compelling reason to buy one. Perhaps as the first M6 if you've
never owned an M camera before.

My large Metz allows me full and total control, any f/stop, any ratio,
whatever. But it cannot speed-up the sync speed. 1/50th sec. I hope Leica
recognizes that this M6TTL is sort of an "ugly duckling" among M cameras
and moves to the next lever rather soon.

Jim

At 07:43 AM 10/7/98 -0500, you wrote:
>At 04:14 PM 10/5/98 -0700, you wrote:
>
>>So other than automatically taking into consideration things like
>>conversion filters, and that the camera meter sees the actual framed
>>subject, I cannot see any big advantage between the camera metering the
>>flash, or the flash metering the flash. I remember my Sunpack has always
>>been dead-on. And the rest of the camera is (almost) the same. Same sync
>>speed (1/50th).
>
>Jim,
>
>Not sure you saw my other message, but besides filter conversion, using all
>apertures (especially wide open, which I don't see on any auto flash)  and
>not being fooled by the angle of the sensor on a flash unit like  your
>sunpak, what would you want? Juggle and whistle Dixie?
>
>Why wait? Upgrade now, upgrade in two years to the electronic M7. That's my
>bet.
>--
>
>Eric Welch
>St. Joseph, MO
>http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch
>
>Where reason has failed, fallibility may yet succeed. -- George Soros

http://www.photoaccess.com
Jim Brick, ASMP, BIAA
Photo Access
(650) 470-1132