Subject: Re: [Leica] driving distance
From: jimbrick@photoaccess.com (Jim Brick)
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 19:17:55 -0700

From 1980 until January 1998 (18 years), I worked as a consultant in the
embedded controller computer industry. My office was (and still is)
upstairs in my house. I commuted up a flight of stairs. For five years, I
had a contract in Colorado Springs (Omnipoint) so over those years I
traveled there reasonably often. The San Jose airport is 10 min from my
house and I chose to fly at times so that I wouldn't have to hit rush hour
traffic. That "commuting" to Colorado Springs is what earned my 400,000
frequent flyer miles, which then bought the four First Class round trip
tickets to Europe, that we used last month. For Photokina and the LUG-Leica
meeting. And, of course, the rest of the trip. As of January this year, I
started working with a start-up (Photo Access) and have to commute 15min
from my house to Palo Alto. Photo Access is the home of the BALUG (Bay Area
LUG). It's not too bad as I never see rush commute traffic. But it is sure
different than working at home.

California is large and open (of course not as much as Texas - everything
is bigger in Texas). But we have the CA coast, PT Lobos, Yosemite, Lake
Tahoe, Adams, Weston, etc... Even Ansel Adams thought nothing of traveling
hundreds of miles in a day for a single photograph. I guess it's what you
get used to.

Jim

At 09:15 PM 10/6/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Jim
>
>I used to live in California.  I was graduated from Novato HS, Class of
>'68.  That frenetic urge to drive is one reason I live on the Right Coast.
>
>I live above my office.  I walk to work, down a flight of stairs.  On a
>good day, I don't drive at all.  No emissions into the atmosphere, no cost
>to the US balance of payments, no problem.
>
>A bed is a bed.  Be real.  Or, should I say, who cares where the dark-room
>is?  It will NOT have a "scenic view"!
>
>Marc
>
>msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
>Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!