Subject: [Leica] Leica lenses over-priced ? I don't think so.
From: Lucien <lucien@ubi.edu>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 23:55:33 +0100

B.D. I don't agree.

I'm sure that same lens made by Canon or Nikon will cost the same price
or more.

And the Contax G lens even if the results are really similar,
are not build at all in the same manner.
Take a M 35/2 Summicron and a Contax G 35/2, both with lens
hood, in your hand and then put it on a camera.
After that I don't think you will say that it worth the same price.

BTW it's not a fair comparaison because the G 35/2 is the only G lens
which is not a top lens, not at the level of the Summicron anyway.

B. D. Colen wrote:

> > The following statement does not make sense to me???

> > like a little
> >
> > More gadgets? Less quality? Less serviceability?
> >
> > What does "less Leica" mean?
> >
> > Jim
> Allow me to wade in here....I think what is meant by less Leica is less
> price charged for the Red Dot. No one can challenge the fact that the M
> cameras are absolutely superb mechanical rangefinders, and that the optics
> are world class. On the other hand, from everything I have read and heard,
> the optics for the Contax G2 are also world class, and they are a fraction
> of the cost of the Leica lenses - which suggests that with the Leica one is
> paying for the name, for the fact that the product is made in a higher cost
> labor market - which is Leica's lookout, not ours, etc.
>
> As to the R cameras. Yes they are terrifically well made. Yes they are
> serviceable. Yes the optics are terrific. But are the optics enough MORE
> terrific than the top Canon and Nikon optics? If they were, I'd wager more
> working pros would use them than do, because there would be more of a demand
> for that quality.
>
> I think we on this list often lose sight of the fact that it is no longer
> 1954, and the photo equipment industry is no longer dominated by the
> Germans. Yes, Leicas are mythically wonderful cameras.
>
> But they are over-priced. :-)

- --
Lucien
Brussels - Belgium