Subject: [Leica] Power switch
From: Doug Herr <71247.3542@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 23:16:41 -0400

On  Mon, 05 Oct 1998, Martin V. Howard wrote:

>N. B. Watson wrote:
>>
>> Interesting to note, after all the jury-rigging
>> we've done to circumvent this problem, I picked up a friend's Nikon FM=
2n
>> this morning, and with the wind lever pressed in to the body, the
shutter
>> button/meter switch is securely locked; pop the winder out to the read=
>> position and it unlocks.  =

>I have a Nikon FM2. How annoying is it when you're taking vertical-forma=
>shots and the damn wind lever digs into your forehead?
>
>How comfortable is it to have to jam your thumb between the housing and
the
>wind lever, especially as the leverage of your forehead against the leve=
>threatens to crush it?
>
>How annoying is it, when you forget to jam your thumb inbetween the
housing
>and the lever, the camera switches off, just as you are going to release=

>the shutter?
>
>How stupid is that particular design?

Martin,

While I can't disagree with your opinion of the FM2, a very similar desig=
works extremely well in the Leicaflex SL.  The SL's larger body and longe=
"dead zone" prevent "crushed thumb syndrome" and the inadvertant switchin=
off when the forehead pushes the lever back against the camera body.  In
the SL's design, the lever only turns the meter on or off; the shutter
release is always unlocked.

The shutter release is sufficiently recessed into the hub of the shutter
speed dial to prevent photos of the inside of the camera bag.  Switching
the meter on by flicking the lever out has become automatic for me,
whenever I pick the SL up.  It's too bad a similar switch isn't built int=
the winder-capable R-bodies. =

Doug Herr
Sacramento